Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Here We Go...

This past weekend, my husband and I decided we are going to wait until December for IVF. I have to admit, I had a little bit of a meltdown about the whole thing, finally coming to the realization that we were one of "those" couples (or, more accurately, that I am one of "those" women -- it's my tubes that are completely f*cked up -- I should probably change the name of the blog to "My F*cked Up Tubes," but it doesn't quite have the same ring... but I digress...). I think the main issue for me was that, after hearing how there are about three months of increased fertility after an HSG, I really wanted to try at least another cycle on our own even though it was less of a blockage issue and more of a "one-tube-is-tied-up-in-knots-and-the-other-points-due-north-so-we-don't-even-know-where-the-egg's-gonna-go" issue. The earliest we could have gone in was October, due to the necessary month lead-in time (my RE requires that I go on the pill for a month prior to the procedure to get me on their schedule). That leaves November and December. November was out because my family is coming to visit for Thanksgiving (and having to be on stress-free bedrest while my family is visiting is pretty much an impossibility), leaving only December. My mother offered to cancel their trip to allow us to go forward in November, but I told her not to worry about it. I wouldn't have accrued enough leave time until December anyway (which really is true, so it does work out better).

Today being the first day of this cycle, I called my RE and reported to them (it's a very strange thing -- they told me if I remembered nothing else, to just remember to call them on Day 1). I told them how we wanted to go forward in December. I actually spoke to the nurse (the nicest nurse I've ever met -- we'll just call her Nurse Nice for now) who performed my first ultrasound there. She also happens to be the IVF coordinator, and I have a feeling we're going to become pretty intimate over the next several months. She welcomed me to the IVF program and gave me the schedule. On or about December 7 will be my egg retrieval. The week of December 9 will be the week I will have to take off work following the transfer. Between mid-November and my first Beta, I will have to do all sorts of unseemly things, like repeated vaginal ultrasounds, allowing my husband to give me hormone injections, etc. I was instructed to call at the first day of my next cycle just so they can keep tabs on me. It was that easy...

So, I requested time off work from my supervisor for "surgery." I felt really bad (and still do) about being less than honest with him, but it was so much easier than trying to explain my endeavor, especially not knowing how he would react. I'm thinking of just telling people I'm having plastic surgery. If they ask where, I will tell them they can figure it out on their own upon my return. That should keep everyone entertained for at least a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, my husband (who really is my favorite person), has decided we will go away next weekend. We will focus on nothing but making the most of this cycle on our own -- our plan is to get a hotel room, and do nothing but stay in bed and order room service (among other things). At least we won't be able to say we didn't try...

No comments: